How to Remove Centre drag link from Idler and Pitman Arms??

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more than.

Bm Guru
Posts: 138
Joined: Aug 25, 2009 8:32 PM
Location: Australia

How to Remove Centre drag link from Idler and Pitman Artillery??

Hi there,

I accept tried searching the forums and couldnt detect annihilation.
I have used a brawl joint seperator to disconnect the tie rods to the centre drag link. All i demand to practise now is disconnect the centre drag link from the idler (passenger side) and pitman arms (drivers side). I have already removed the bolt on each side (on acme belongings the pitman and ider artillery to centre drag link).
Nonetheless i still cannot become the heart drag link off the pitman and Idler arms. Whatever advise? Will i need to use my ball articulation seperator or pickle fork once more?
I have a new Idler arm, simply i am thinking i might not replace it as there is no vertical play.
An advise would be profoundly appreciated!

Regards
John

Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 21482
Joined: Feb 12, 2006 12:00 PM
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

I've ever used a die grinder to cut and split the housing, so I was able to get my ball joint popper in there.

Bm Guru
Posts: 138
Joined: Aug 25, 2009 eight:32 PM
Location: Australia

Post by Bm Guru »

Shawn D. wrote:I've always used a dice grinder to cut and dissever the housing, then I was able to go my brawl articulation popper in there.

Thanks Sean for the fast respond. Could I use any other tools that I already have such as a hack saw or fifty-fifty angle grinder? Also tin I please confirm which office of the casing needs to exist attacked? Is this just so I can fit the ball joint separator in and pop information technology open? As well is information technology safe to utilise an angle grinder under the car? I'm worried any oily parts might spark up.

Best regards
John

demetk
Posts: 8423
Joined: Aug 09, 2007 8:58 AM
Location: CT, Us

Re: How to Remove Centre elevate link from Idler and Pitman Arm

Post past demetk »

Bm Guru wrote:Will i demand to use my ball joint seperator or pickle fork again?

I'd use the separator on the pitman arm joint. I don't think it's a proficient idea to use a pickle fork to pound abroad on the pitman arm which connects an expensive steering box that has all these bearings and gears in it. Just maxim.

On the idler arm, just unbolt the idler arm and remove it with the heart link. Then you lot tin can separate the link in a vise. If you lot're swapping the middle link, you should exist doing either the whole idler arm or the bushing at the same time.

Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 21482
Joined: Feb 12, 2006 12:00 PM
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post past Shawn D. »

Bm Guru wrote:

Shawn D. wrote:I've always used a die grinder to cut and split the housing, and so I was able to get my ball joint popper in there.

Cheers Sean for the fast reply. Could I use any other tools that I already have such every bit a hack saw or fifty-fifty angle grinder? Also can I please confirm which part of the casing needs to be attacked? Is this just so I can fit the ball joint separator in and pop information technology open up? Too is it safe to use an bending grinder under the car? I'm worried any oily parts might spark up.

Information technology's Shawn, and you're welcome.

I dunno, you tell me how many hours you want to spend cut on it with a hack saw! Can y'all cut it with an angle grinder? I dunno, what blades do you have for that? You'd need an annoying disc.

I cut the section that encases the ball.

Yes, it's so you can get the popper in there.

No, it'southward non prophylactic. I've burned many cars downward. That'due south why I suggested it to yous. :roll: Yeah, yes, information technology's safe -- jeez! :laugh: Y'all won't grab any oil on burn down with sparks from a grinder.

davintosh
Posts: 13907
Joined: Jan 28, 2009 1:05 AM
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Contact:

Re: How to Remove Centre drag link from Idler and Pitman Arm

Mail by davintosh »

demetk wrote:

Bm Guru wrote:Volition i need to utilise my ball joint seperator or pickle fork again?

I'd employ the separator on the pitman arm joint. I don't retrieve it'southward a practiced idea to use a pickle fork to pound away on the pitman arm which connects an expensive steering box that has all these bearings and gears in it. Just saying.

On the idler arm, but unbolt the idler arm and remove information technology with the eye link. Then yous tin split the link in a vise. If you lot're swapping the middle link, you should exist doing either the whole idler arm or the bushing at the same time.

This. If you can become the pitman arm off of it, the bushing side of the idler arm is just held in identify by a bolt, and then it'south cake to get that out. The ball joint separator should work to get the two of them separated out; a little oestrus from a torch should assistance too. Are you replacing the idler arm bushing? That'south a wear item too and should be replaced. When I replaced the eye link & idler arm on my e32 they came out together; in fact I saw the sometime idler arm the other day, all the same attached to the old center link, sticking out of the junk pile abreast the garage!

Alfonso Bedoya
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sep xvi, 2010 3:fifteen PM
Location: Van Isle, B.C. Canada

Re: How to Remove Centre drag link from Idler and Pitman Arm

Mail by Alfonso Bedoya »

davintosh wrote:

demetk wrote:

Bm Guru wrote:Will i need to use my ball joint seperator or pickle fork again?

When I replaced the center link & idler arm on my e32 they came out together; in fact I saw the erstwhile idler arm the other 24-hour interval, still attached to the one-time center link, sticking out of the junk pile beside the garage!

LOL :rofl:

Bm Guru
Posts: 138
Joined: Aug 25, 2009 8:32 PM
Location: Australia

Re: How to Remove Centre drag link from Idler and Pitman Arm

Post by Bm Guru »

davintosh wrote:

demetk wrote:

Bm Guru wrote:Volition i demand to use my ball joint seperator or pickle fork again?

I'd utilize the separator on the pitman arm joint. I don't think it's a skilful thought to use a pickle fork to pound away on the pitman arm which connects an expensive steering box that has all these bearings and gears in it. Just saying.

On the idler arm, just unbolt the idler arm and remove information technology with the centre link. So you tin can divide the link in a vise. If you're swapping the center link, you should exist doing either the whole idler arm or the bushing at the same time.

This. If yous tin can get the pitman arm off of it, the bushing side of the idler arm is only held in identify by a bolt, so it's block to get that out. The ball joint separator should piece of work to go the 2 of them separated out; a niggling heat from a torch should help too. Are you replacing the idler arm bushing? That's a wear item as well and should be replaced. When I replaced the heart link & idler arm on my e32 they came out together; in fact I saw the old idler arm the other 24-hour interval, still fastened to the sometime eye link, sticking out of the junk pile beside the garage!

Hi guys,
Im upwards to the final office. i managed to get the idler arm off purchase using three x 250mm Sidchrome extensions and a one/2 inch commuter (with 17mm socket). I didnt realise information technology was a two man job until information technology started to loosen up and wouldnt come off. I had to get under the machine and undo the other end of the 17mm bolt while my picayune sister held the commodities on top with my extension socket :oops:
And so the idler arm is now stuck on the middle elevate link (which is fine because i am replacing both).
Now i am up to the very last role to remove: centre drag link from the pitman arm. I even removed my longtube stainless frazzle headers to have more room to play with. I just cannot fit my ball joint seperator into this role. It just wont go in deep enough, i think because the joint is extremely tight. I dont have a die grinder, then instead i have been cutting the bejesus out of the ball joint (underneath part) with an angle grinder. Its like NYE with all the fireworks down there! :shock:
I just deceit become it!
I have even tried to see if my pickle fork would fit (i know it is not good equally information technology may damage the steering box, but i wanted to know if information technology would atleast fit), and it doesnt. I have even tapped the middle drag link from above through the engine bay, merely this joint is non budging. I am going crazy!!! :x
Any other ideas on how to remove the pitman arm from the centre elevate link? I am even because merely removing the pitman arm and so i can cut information technology off on a bench, simply the huge bolt holding the pitman arm in looks daunting.
Any ideas?

Thanks everyone!
John

535is-pa
Posts: 1944
Joined: Feb 12, 2006 12:00 PM
Location: south central PA

Re: How to Remove Centre drag link from Idler and Pitman Arm

Post past 535is-pa »

Bm Guru wrote:

davintosh wrote:

demetk wrote:

Bm Guru wrote:Will i need to utilise my ball joint seperator or pickle fork again?

I'd use the separator on the pitman arm joint. I don't think it's a skillful idea to use a pickle fork to pound away on the pitman arm which connects an expensive steering box that has all these bearings and gears in information technology. Simply saying.

On the idler arm, just unbolt the idler arm and remove information technology with the centre link. And then you can separate the link in a vise. If you're swapping the eye link, yous should exist doing either the whole idler arm or the bushing at the same fourth dimension.

This. If you can get the pitman arm off of information technology, the bushing side of the idler arm is just held in place by a bolt, so it's cake to become that out. The ball joint separator should work to go the two of them separated out; a little heat from a torch should help too. Are you replacing the idler arm bushing? That's a wearable detail too and should be replaced. When I replaced the center link & idler arm on my e32 they came out together; in fact I saw the old idler arm the other day, still attached to the old center link, sticking out of the junk pile beside the garage!

Hello guys,
Im up to the last part. i managed to get the idler arm off buy using 3 x 250mm Sidchrome extensions and a 1/2 inch driver (with 17mm socket). I didnt realise information technology was a two man job until it started to loosen up and wouldnt come off. I had to get under the motorcar and undo the other finish of the 17mm commodities while my little sister held the bolt on top with my extension socket :oops:
So the idler arm is now stuck on the center drag link (which is fine because i am replacing both).
Now i am up to the very concluding part to remove: eye drag link from the pitman arm. I even removed my longtube stainless exhaust headers to take more room to play with. I just cannot fit my ball joint seperator into this part. Information technology just wont become in deep plenty, i retrieve because the joint is extremely tight. I dont take a dice grinder, and so instead i have been cutting the bejesus out of the brawl joint (underneath role) with an angle grinder. Its similar NYE with all the fireworks downward there! :shock:
I just cant go it!
I take even tried to run into if my pickle fork would fit (i know information technology is not proficient as it may harm the steering box, but i wanted to know if information technology would atleast fit), and it doesnt. I accept even tapped the heart drag link from above through the engine bay, just this joint is non budging. I am going crazy!!! :x
Any other ideas on how to remove the pitman arm from the centre elevate link? I am even considering just removing the pitman arm so i can cut it off on a bench, but the huge commodities property the pitman arm in looks daunting.
Any ideas?

Thanks everyone!
John

two man job? ive never had assist working on an e28. dont buy an e36 or latter.....

offset drown everything in pb blaster with the nut loose/off so y'all can get goo down the taperd hole.

back the nut off to the superlative of the threads on the center link and go a long metallic bar put it on the nut and showtime hit the bar with a BFH, itll come off.

OR exist smart an go a ball joint/tie rod puller from autozone and pop it right off. later on some cursing getting things situated. tools cost like $100 to rent for the twenty-four hours but you get that coin back when you return them. their font end kit tin can practise this job i accept used it before. steering boxes are pretty durable. i am anal nearly steering feel and i believe its brake shimmy that kills them not a few smacks to the pitman arm ,

a
Posts: 12454
Joined: Feb 12, 2006 12:00 PM
Location: Marshfield ,MA

Post by a »

Vise grips ( locking pliers) are your friend. Clamp the whichever finish yous can. I apply various bars , jacks, hammers to take apart the front stop. Just then I'k a inexpensive ass hack. Idler arms dont wear out, they habiliment out the bushings in the center link. I rediscover this factoid evry time I have to replace a middle link. BTW, you may demand a front terminate alignment, My last center link was a 1/4" shorter.

Bm Guru
Posts: 138
Joined: Aug 25, 2009 viii:32 PM
Location: Australia

Mail service by Bm Guru »

a wrote:Vise grips ( locking pliers) are your friend. Clamp the whichever cease you can. I utilise various bars , jacks, hammers to take apart the front cease. But so I'm a inexpensive ass hack. Idler arms dont wear out, they vesture out the bushings in the center link. I rediscover this factoid evry time I have to supercede a eye link. BTW, you may need a front end end alignment, My last eye link was a one/4" shorter.

And then far I have been attacking the back of the centre drag link where it attaches to the pitman arm (back of ball joint) with an angle grinder. So far I have cut almost of it out, simply the ball is still encased. My plan is to cut the casing completely off like Shawn recommended. I'm hoping one time I practise this that the ball joint is notwithstanding large enough to apply my ball joint separator on. I don't think I have many other options, especially if I cannot hitting it off (not that I don't want to, there's just no room to swing a mallet/hammer more than than an inch). I am losing my mind, I hope I get this part off today. I will take a photograph showing how much I have cut up the joint using an angle grinder, there's no turning dorsum now, lol

Thanks guys
John

demetk
Posts: 8423
Joined: Aug 09, 2007 8:58 AM
Location: CT, USA

Mail past demetk »

So are you saying you're ball joint separator is too thick for the joint? Why not grind that down so it fits. It may be easier than slicing and dicing a ball joint.

Rich Euro M5
Posts: 6091
Joined: Mar x, 2006 half dozen:xx AM
Location: Klein, Texas

Post past Rich Euro M5 »

Easiest manner to pop this joint is using a medium sized 2 jaw gear puller (I used the one at lower right corner of the photo). You mountain the puller from above. You want the jaws of the gear puller to hook on the pitman arm, and the screw of the gear puller on the top of the joint shaft from the centerlink. Just go on cranking information technology down and it will pop.

Rich

Image

Bm Guru
Posts: 138
Joined: Aug 25, 2009 8:32 PM
Location: Australia

Post by Bm Guru »

[quote="Rich Euro M5"]Easiest mode to pop this joint is using a medium sized two jaw gear puller (I used the i at lower right corner of the photo). You mount the puller from above. You want the jaws of the gear puller to hook on the pitman arm, and the spiral of the gear puller on the top of the articulation shaft from the centerlink. Only keep cranking it downward and it will popular.

Rich

Thanks Rich,

Damn I even seen 1 of those gear pullers at my local Autobarn, and thought it might work. I wish I actually bought information technology, it would have made life so much easier!

Anyway, I managed to get the pitman arm off the middle elevate link!! Just as Shawn recommended (cheers and so much!!). I used my angle grinder until the bitter end. I ended upwards cutting the complete heart elevate link off, and cut all the exterior of the ball articulation, so merely the actual 'ball' was in the articulation. Then I used the necktie rod/ball joint separator to pull this out in seconds. I am all the same in disbelief that it is out! Now all I need to practise is put all the new parts (16 pieces) on. I'm hoping that this is much easier. My dad mentioned that if ball joints are so difficult to remove then surely they will be a hurting to install. I told him that they are tapered, just should go 'on' fine. I am really hoping they will but go on.
Has anyone hither replaced the rear diff mount, pitman artillery or rear subframe mounts? Only wondering if they are equally difficult to replace compared to all the parts I have struggled with at the front??

Thank yous
John

Frybrid 524td
Posts: 2688
Joined: May 27, 2009 11:42 AM
Location: ...

Post by Frybrid 524td »

Bm Guru wrote:Now all I need to do is put all the new parts (16 pieces) on. I'm hoping that this is much easier. My dad mentioned that if ball joints are then difficult to remove so surely they will exist a pain to install. I told him that they are tapered, but should become 'on' fine. I am actually hoping they will simply proceed.

Make sure you use anti-seize and so the parts come apart more easily if/when you demand to remove them side by side.

Bm Guru wrote:Has anyone here replaced the rear unequal mount, pitman arms or rear subframe mounts? Just wondering if they are as difficult to supervene upon compared to all the parts I take struggled with at the forepart?

"Rear" diff mount? There's a front diff mount?!? ;) The diff mount and pitman arms are a breeze to R&R but the subframe bushings are a bear to remove without the "proper" (i.e. expensive) tool. Read these pages:
"Sawzall Method"
Diff mountain reinforcement with polyurethane.
Seriously consider replacing your subframe bushings with poly ones equally opposed to OE style bushings. Installation is much easier equally no printing is needed. This recent thread covers this topic thoroughly:
rear subframe bushings

Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 21482
Joined: February 12, 2006 12:00 PM
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

Bm Guru wrote:anyhow, I managed to go the pitman arm off the centre drag link!! Simply as Shawn recommended (thanks so much!!).

Y'all're welcome!

Bm Guru
Posts: 138
Joined: Aug 25, 2009 8:32 PM
Location: Australia

Post by Bm Guru »

Frybrid 524td wrote:

Bm Guru wrote:At present all I need to do is put all the new parts (xvi pieces) on. I'1000 hoping that this is much easier. My dad mentioned that if ball joints are then difficult to remove so surely they will be a pain to install. I told him that they are tapered, but should go 'on' fine. I am actually hoping they volition simply go on.

Brand certain you utilise anti-seize then the parts come autonomously more than hands if/when you need to remove them next.

Bm Guru wrote:Has anyone here replaced the rear diff mountain, pitman arms or rear subframe mounts? Just wondering if they are as difficult to replace compared to all the parts I have struggled with at the front?

"Rear" diff mount? At that place'south a front end diff mount?!? ;) The diff mount and pitman arms are a cakewalk to R&R but the subframe bushings are a bear to remove without the "proper" (i.e. expensive) tool. Read these pages:
"Sawzall Method"
Unequal mountain reinforcement with polyurethane.
Seriously consider replacing your subframe bushings with poly ones as opposed to OE style bushings. Installation is much easier as no press is needed. This recent thread covers this topic thoroughly:
rear subframe bushings

Thanks for your assistance. I had a look at the tutorial on subframe bushes. It looks extremely helpful, thank you.

I merely began putting all new control arms on the car, but found that when I attempt to tighten the ball articulation function of the lower control arms, the ball joint begins to plough too. This is so frustrating, all I want to practise is tighten it upwardly and move on. I noticed the bolt is a regular style one, which doesn't crave a split pin like the standard ones. I have considered pushing my ball articulation separator into the brawl joint and then I can tighten the bolts up without the ball joint turning with the nut, yet I am afraid I volition pierce the rubber boot on the ball articulation (clear/yellow colour safe boot).
Any experience on what will piece of work?

Merry Christmas
John

Bm Guru
Posts: 138
Joined: Aug 25, 2009 8:32 PM
Location: Australia

Mail service past Bm Guru »

Bm Guru wrote:

Frybrid 524td wrote:

Bm Guru wrote:Now all I need to practise is put all the new parts (16 pieces) on. I'm hoping that this is much easier. My dad mentioned that if brawl joints are so difficult to remove then surely they volition be a pain to install. I told him that they are tapered, but should go 'on' fine. I am really hoping they will but go on.

Brand certain you use anti-seize so the parts come autonomously more easily if/when you need to remove them adjacent.

Bm Guru wrote:Has anyone hither replaced the rear diff mount, pitman arms or rear subframe mounts? Merely wondering if they are equally hard to replace compared to all the parts I have struggled with at the front?

"Rear" diff mount? There's a front diff mount?!? ;) The unequal mount and pitman arms are a breeze to R&R simply the subframe bushings are a bear to remove without the "proper" (i.east. expensive) tool. Read these pages:
"Sawzall Method"
Diff mount reinforcement with polyurethane.
Seriously consider replacing your subframe bushings with poly ones as opposed to OE style bushings. Installation is much easier equally no press is needed. This recent thread covers this topic thoroughly:
rear subframe bushings

Thanks for your assistance. I had a look at the tutorial on subframe bushes. It looks extremely helpful, thank you.

I just began putting all new control arms on the car, but found that when I effort to tighten the ball joint role of the lower control artillery, the brawl joint begins to turn as well. This is so frustrating, all I want to exercise is tighten it upwards and move on. I noticed the bolt is a regular style one, which doesn't require a divide pin similar the standard ones. I accept considered pushing my ball joint separator into the ball joint and so I tin tighten the bolts upwardly without the ball joint turning with the nut, however I am afraid I will pierce the prophylactic boot on the ball joint (clear/yellow colour prophylactic boot).
Any experience on what will work?

Information technology's all good. I managed to get keep the command arm ball joints from turning by using needle nose pliers when necessary. All good now! I finally have all the new parts on. I'm just re connecting my stainless headers and will demand to put the car up on stands tomorrow then I can but tighten the UCA and LCA bushes. I have seen a special tool (looks like a large ratchet) which actually measures how tight the bolts are. I know this would be ideal, but it costs $89.95 (kinchrome) and I'g going to encounter how I go without it and just approximate when I call back they are tight plenty. Can't wait to go a bicycle alignment and actually bulldoze Casper. It'southward been over 2 months in the waiting. Then excited!!!

Merry Christmas
John

catso
Posts: 100
Joined: October 19, 2010 8:53 PM
Location: Chicago

Post by catso »

A warning to all pickle fork users: I pounded and pounded on my RS control arm with a pickle fork. Finally got the brawl joint to carve up. Put in the new one. Everything seemed fine, until I noticed a tiny spray af ATF fluid on the LF fender and door. The pounding had acquired a tiny leak in a rusty surface area of the trans pressure line from the radiator. :x Had to and then supersede the trans lines. The upper fitting is quite the bitch to remove. :evil: If you demand to replace it, the top hose-fitting combo has been superceded. Make sure you gild the correct parts.

ahab
Posts: 6131
Joined: Jun 11, 2006 9:12 AM
Location: Chalfont, PA

Post past ahab »

Bm Guru wrote:...and volition need to put the automobile up on stands tomorrow then I tin merely tighten the UCA and LCA bushes.

You need to practise this with the pause loaded, UCAs anyway but I do both loaded. (!) Search for more than info. Ramps is a better way to do information technology, or drive up on a few 2X6s. At this phase of the game I'm able to do information technology from the side without raising the car at all and I'g on lowering springs.

For futurity reference, use a large pair of channel locks (sister optional) on the tie rods, etc to bind the new ball joints when you tighten the nuts, or employ air tools.

nnarth212
Posts: 1953
Joined: Aug 10, 2009 half dozen:06 PM
Location: San Francisco

Post by nnarth212 »

I am gonna say it again-- a heat gun makes all the ball joints easier to remove.

best 9.99 I take spent in a couple years. Harbor Freight direct from the Orient. Don't buy whatever serious tools in that location, notwithstanding.